Growing up in a Filipino Chinese family, practical feng shui was ingrained in us early on even in our childhood. During Chinese New Year, we would be asked to help out in preparing our home by dusting the house, opening windows and doors as well as preparing the food on the dining table before it strikes midnight. During New Year’s day, we would anticipate 2 things:
- Taking a bath with water boiled with pomelo leaves and
- Our coveted ang pao (red envelope!).
Over the past few years though, I’ve been incorporating my love for fragrances and essential oils into the mix to prepare my home (past 2 years, my home with my husband and now a baby!).
The traditional way to cleanse the air and negative chi in your home would be to smudge sage around the building by burning some sage in a bowl or using a smudge stick and waving the smoke around every room. To be honest, I’m not a fan of sage so this wasn’t really an option for me. Just imagining the scent of sage that would stick to our furniture and curtains is already making me queasy. So what do I do instead?
Here are my 3 practical tips using Fragrances and Essential Oils:
- Open all the windows and doors to let sunlight and fresh air in to cleanse the house. Of course, be wary of your own security. We live in a private condo so I can do this freely but if your home doesn’t have security and your along a main road, make sure you have someone with you to watch your doors (and windows). Mahirap na.
- Mix a blend of essential oils with basil, sage, bergamot, orange (bitter or sweet), lemon, rosemary in an atomizer bottle and spray around the home. I’ll be sharing a blend with a more pleasing scent below.
- Ride the #KonMari wagon. A clutter-free home makes a BIG difference especially when getting rid of negative vibes. If everything in your home “sparks joy”, don’t you think you’ll be happier? That in itself should be motivation enough to take that first step in following Marie Kondo’s ways.
Now – let’s get moving with our Space Clearing spray.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Your Essential Oils arsenal: Basil, sage, bergamot, orange (bitter or sweet), lemon, rosemary, frankincense and patchouli essential oils.
If you want to make it smell a little bit floral and light, you can add a little bit of iris, pink pepper and white tea fragrance oils in the mix.
- Atomiser spray bottle. Better to use an amber colored or blue colored bottle to keep the scent fresh as sunlight can weaken the oils over time.
- Distilled Water. Yes, you can use the distilled water from groceries.
- If you’re into semi-precious stones, adding Quartz Crystals would be perfect for your Space Clearing blend as well. It helps strengthen the oils in your blend.
- Optional – Sugarcane (Ethyl) Alcohol.
Blending your Space Clearing Spray
- Remove the spray mechanism off the atomiser bottle and place 2-3 drops each of your essential oils depending how strong you want the aroma to be. I usually use around 25-30 drops per 50ml.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with either distilled water or a half and half mix of Ethyl Alcohol and Water.
- Shake the bottle well to mix the essential oils
- If you want to incorporate crystals into your spray, this would be the time to add it.
- Before using the spray, I would suggest “praying over” it and impart positive energy into it to help it cleanse your home of negative energies and replace it with positive ones.
The first thing to note is the smell; – our condo really does smell amazing after spraying the Space Clearing and it lasted for a good week before I resprayed the home. (Spray it on curtains, sheets, linens to make it linger). The blend really did help clear a lot of negative energy in my home. You can also go around office and spray around every room to clear the negative chi!
Gong Xi Fa Çai! Kiong Hee!
Happy Chinese New Year from our little family!