Unfortunately, the iPad is the newest kids toy today. Gone are the days that we play with real toys, and go outside to play with friends. But, there definitely is a factor to those toys. Of course, bringing in toys to enjoy with your kids can lead to all kinds of trouble. Swallowing small objects, accidentally stepping on something spikey or most importantly, bad chemicals. Yikes!
There are a lot of play toys before that we enjoyed before, but the ones that we can form, shape, and manipulate are the ones that we enjoy more and work our creative mind. Playdough is one of the toys that we enjoy as a child. Although some already are staring at an iPad to play games, it’s not too late to give them enjoyment with safe materials that you can create your own!
Creating playdough is simple and easy but one thing that’s going to be unique is picking an essential oil that you can mix that is safe. You can research some that are the safest for a child, but lemon essential oil is one of our favorites because it makes you and your child feel energetic, happy, and can also improve memory.
Here are the ingredients for the Playdough:
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Tbsp Oil (I used coconut oil melted in the microwave)
- 1/2 Cup of Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream Of Tartar (You can find this on the spice aisle)
- 1 1/2 Cup Boiling Water
- 10-20 Drops Lemon essential oil (Depending on how strong you like the scent to be)
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- Stir together your salt, flour, cream of tartar and oil in a big bowl.
- Add the boiling water and keep stirring until it forms a dough. When it’s mixed pretty thoroughly and has had a chance to cool a bit, add the essential oil and food coloring.
- Knead the dough until the dye is thoroughly mixed into the dough. This takes a while, but keep working at it and be careful, because it could still be really hot!
Try it with your child and it’s safe since you already know what ingredients you’ve placed in your playdough. You will also start to smell the lemon essential oil that can energize you and your child when playing. You can add just a few more drops if it starts to lose its smell so that the dough can still maintain its freshness throughout.
We hope that you enjoy this short tutorial, and hope that you and your family can start a new bond without the technology! 🙂
Hope you learn something in this blog post and have a Scentful 2019 ahead!