With all the food, leftovers, and especially my baby’s milk left in the fridge, it sometimes gets a bit smelly and might even affect all our new items that we put in our fridge. So our main course of action is to remove all our stuff and clean our fridge. But, we also have an idea of cleaning it naturally since our over-the-counter cleaners are filled with chemicals that I don’t want my baby touching those with her milk and food! Here’s a solution that not only disinfects the fridge but deodorizes it as well plus using natural materials to create a fresh space. ✨
Photo from Live Simply
Disinfecting Fridge Cleaner
You don’t want toxic cleaners where you store your food. That’s why this do-it-yourself disinfecting fridge cleaner is great since it uses natural materials and removes grease and smell. Try this cleaner out and clean your fridge.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dish soap (not castile soap)
- Orange essential oil
- Pour vinegar into the bottle and add dish soap and essential oil.
- Fill almost to the top with warm water.
- Shake well before each use.
After finishing up cleaning your fridge and removing all those sticky and greasy stuff, hopefully it smells really great. But of course putting back your food might create another smell in just a few hours. A deodorizer that stays in your fridge can make it smell fresher and prevent future smells.
- 1 pint jar (or baking soda box)
- 2 cups baking soda
- 20-30 drops essential oils – we recommend the mix of vanilla, orange, lemon. It’s better to use essential oils that are not overpowering like floral or mint; try citrus or vanilla instead. Start with less and add more as needed.
- Place baking soda in a jar (if using), and stir in the essential oils.
- Place open jar or box in the back of the fridge to absorb odors and make the fridge smell fresh and clean.
- To give it a burst of freshness, periodically stir the baking soda to release the scent from the essential oils.
- Add more if the scent starts to dissipate. Replace with fresh baking soda and essential oils every 3-4 months.
Well, there you have it! Cleaning your fridge this weekend will give you a productive day, plus it makes your food much fresher and might make your food choices better as well when you smell your fridge with a clean scent. Have a Scentful Day ahead!